Recently there has been trouble with multiple PSAH programs. Nevada Virtual Academy was recently forced to cease operating for grades K-5 because of repeated failures to meet state standards, which earned them a 1-star rating - the lowest possible. They were also forced to cap the number of students the academy was allowed to take on for the other grade levels. NVA is not the exception. Connections Academy has a similarly shoddy record. In fact, online charter schools in general score poorly across the board.
Tuesday, November 12, 2019 Blog
Our first stop: Author, blogger, Youtuber, and homeschooler Jamie Erickson has been helping homeschooling parents for over a decade. Her background studies in English and literature give poetic attention to detail in the thoughts, fears, and struggles of homeschooling
Nevada Homeschool Network (NHN) strives to advocate for homeschool freedom and the right of each family to direct the education their own children as they see best. It is our intent to respond to the wishes, concerns and interests of the homeschooling community, and to report on legislative, legal and other matters relevant to homeschooling and family education.
- NHN serves all families interested in home education to the best of our ability regardless of race, creed, methods used, or reasons for homeschooling.
- NHN believes there are as many educational approaches as there are students.
- NHN believes the choice of the educational approach is the constitutional, natural and God-given right of the guardian of the child.
- We hold that there is a constitutional right for parents to direct their child’s education. Further, that the state’s regulation of education is secondary to this parental right.
- NHN believes citizens must maintain eternal vigilance to protect their liberty and encourages families to remain informed of home school law.
- Network with and disseminate information to Nevada homeschool groups and individuals
- To monitor and influence state legislation and district policies affecting homeschooling
- To defend the right to homeschool and to maintain the least restrictive laws and policies for homeschooling
- To sponsor symposiums or conferences in Nevada that help parents become the best parent-teachers they can be.
- To educate families, educators, elected officials and the public on the laws and merits of home based education
- To assist homeschoolers and support groups in establishing communication with local school officials