Homeschooling: The Fundamental Parental Rights Education Option
Nevada Homeschool Network (NHN) advocates for the fundamental right of parents to direct the education their own children as they see fit. Homeschool Freedom means – without government control or oversight. It is our intent to respond to the wishes, concerns, and interests of the homeschooling population as well as report on legislative, legal, and other matters relevant to homeschooling and family education.
- Inspire, promote, preserve parent-directed education of their children through homeschooling.
- Network with and disseminate information to Nevada homeschool groups and individuals
- Monitor and influence state legislation and district policies affecting homeschooling
- Defend the right to homeschool and to maintain the least restrictive laws for homeschooling
- Educate families, educators, elected officials and the public at large on the laws and merits of homeschooling, education that is funded and directed by the parent
- Establishing good communication between homeschoolers and local/state school officials as well as elected members of the Executive and Legislative branches of NV state government
- NHN serves all families interested in homeschooling to the best of our ability regardless of race, creed, methods used, or reasons for homeschooling.
- NHN believes there are as many educational approaches as there are students.
- NHN believes the choice of the educational approach is the natural and God-given right of the parent or guardian of the child.
- We hold that there is a constitutional right for parents to direct their child’s education…further, that the state’s regulation of education is secondary to this parental right.
- NHN believes citizens must maintain eternal vigilance to protect their liberty and encourages families to remain informed of homeschool law.
History of NHN:
NHN was formed in 2002 to address a numbering problem in the Nevada Administrative Code that inadvertently tied homeschoolers to Nevada State Standards for Public Schools. A statewide watchdog group had long been needed and this event was the catalyst for our formation. Officers of NHN are Nevada homeschooling parents (or former homeschooling parents) with a long-term vision. NHN members live throughout the state and are connected via the internet with other homeschoolers. While NHN members come from many different backgrounds, religions and learning philosophies, we all agree that working together to protect each parent’s right to direct the education of their child, is our primary focus.
NHN has many functions, as described in our mission and objectives statement. In 2007 we achieved a resounding legislative victory with the passage of SB404, the “Homeschool Freedom Bill”, securing greater freedom under the law for all Nevada homeschoolers. As a result, homeschool parents are no longer regulated by the Nevada State Board of Education but rather take full responsibility for the education of their children. Along with continued vigilance to maintain our freedom, NHN’s mission to educate and assist all those interested in homeschooling remains our top priority.
You, our members, are an integral part of the purpose of Nevada Homeschool Network. Homeschooling families need support and the empowerment of knowledge. NHN is committed to keeping you informed on issues important to homeschoolers in the State of Nevada.
Please feel free to contact us with any questions, problems, or concerns.